This is another one of those recipes that travels well. Whether you’re off to the beach or an extended road trip, salads prepared without mayonnaise have a longer “cooler” life. Although it takes only minutes to make, it does need to marinate for several hours (for all the ingredients to get to know each other) and an overnight in the refrigerator is even better. I’ve also made this with yellow crook-neck squash, and added some thinly sliced fennel … equally as tasty.
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (packed in oil) drained
- 1 tablespoon red onions, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-size bowl, combine all of the ingredients, except zucchini.
- Add the squash and toss to coat.
- Cover, refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours (will be even better the next day).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve as a side dish or on a bed of field greens or arugula.