Last week, a reader from Mississippi commented on my Lemon Ice Box Pie. She thanked me for the recipe and reminisced how this soothing summer dessert was one of her favorites.
To this day she (like all good southern cooks) keeps sweetened condensed milk in the pantry.
In her latest issue of Food and Wine magazine, she came across a recipe using this magic milk and shared it with me. There are only a few ingredients and an ice cream maker is not required.
The original recipe used 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt, I did not. However, I did add water because the mixture was so thick, it was the only way I could get a smooth puree. A perfect summertime snack, my only other issue with the recipe is that it calls for 3/4 cup of the sweetened condensed milk, which means you don’t use all of the 14-ounce can. This is not enough to really do anything with … or is it? Try my lemon-y cream sauce.
- 1 1/2 pounds frozen mangoes
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Using a food processor or blender, (I used my Vitamix) combine the fruit, water and condensed milk, puree until smooth.
- Serve immediately as soft serve ice cream in a cone or a cup.
- Transfer leftovers to a shallow metal baking pan, (lemon granita) cover and freeze. To serve, remove from freezer, let stand at room temperature 10-15 minutes.