Every home cook should have an arsenal of favorite soup recipes. Whether the soup is to be served as a first course for an elegant dinner party, part of a light lunch with friends or a hearty, complete meal in a bowl for the family, there is a soup for every taste and nearly every occasion.
Don’t let the long list of ingredients deter you from making this soup, as it is easy to prepare and will no doubt become one of your favorites. Chock-full of vegetables, this healthy, hearty and satisfying dish is perfect for potlucks, as it is a definite crowd-pleaser!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (Delicate)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 3 cups packed, white Swiss chard
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced Italian tomatoes with juice
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil and butter.
- Crumble the sausage and add to the pot and then saute on high heat until brown.
- Add the onion and saute for a few minutes on high heat.
- Add the remaining vegetables in the order listed and cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes after each addition. After adding the Swiss chard, cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beef and chicken broths, the tomatoes and the water and then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered , for 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil and add the orzo and cannellini beans and then cook for 9 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with grated cheese.