Southern Italians use eggplants in a variety of dishes, from Sicilian caponata to eggplant parmesan. My favorite being the simplest … breaded and fried. (I can make an entire meal out of eggplant prepared this way). However, it can also be enjoyed in soups. If you like this purple vegetable, try this quick and easy recipe and in less than an hour you’ll have a hearty meal.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1 small bunch parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a soup pot, saute onions, parsley and basil.
- Cook 10 minutes until onions are soft. Add the eggplant, continue cooking another 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the broth and water, bring to a boil and add orzo.
- Cook stirring occasionally, about 10-15 minutes until the orzo is done.
- Lightly beat the egg and mix with the cheese.
- When the orzo is done, remove the pot from the burner.
With a whisk, stir a ladle of broth into egg mixture, then briskly whisk the egg mixture into the soup.
Adjust seasoning if necessary.