You might not recognize this salad the way it’s presented. I certainly didn’t when it was served to me at a fine restaurant in Las Vegas. I ordered insalata caprese, the classic Italian salad. The tomatoes and cheese are usually sliced and arranged by overlapping alternate slices of tomato and mozzarella. Drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and seasoned with with salt and pepper, you only need a garnish of fresh basil and a splash of balsamic to complete the dish. Just for fun, I recreated the salad for a small dinner party.
- 1 tomato
- 1 ball fresh buffalo mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling on plate
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil
- Olio Carli balsamic cream or make your own Balsamic Drizzle
- Cut tomato in half, season with salt and pepper.
- Cut buffalo mozzarella in half.
- Place tomato on plate.
- Whisk olive oil and vinegar together, spoon over tomato, top with mozzarella.
- Slice basil in thin strips, place on top.
- Decorate with additional whole basil leaves and Olio Carli’s Balsamic Cream.
- Drizzle a little more olive oil on plate.