One of my favorite meals is veal Marsala and if I’m dining out and it’s on the menu, it’s difficult for me to resist. This baked (al forno) recipe is a version of the classic chicken Marsala.
The original is made with chicken breasts, dusted with flour, briefly sauteed and served with a Marsala sauce that needs to be served immediately (same preparation as for veal Marsala). A fabulous dish for a few, but not as conducive for a a crowd.
My recipe has the same basic ingredients, chicken, mushrooms, Marsala and can be prepared in advance. A topping of Parmesan and creamy fontina cheese turns this into an extra delicious dish.
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves
- Flour for dredging
- 6 tablespoons, plus 1/4 cup butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup Marsala
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Italian parsley, chopped
- Place chicken breast (one at a time) in a large heavy plastic freezer bag. With a meat mallet, pound flat until very thin (1/8-inch). You could also place each chicken breast between two sheets of waxed paper.
- Cut each flattened breasts into four or five pieces. They should be about the same size.
- In another large freezer bag, add some flour, lightly dredge each piece of chicken.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter, add enough pieces of chicken to cover skillet (without overcrowding). On low heat, cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken (overlapping edges) in a 13-inch x 9-inch x 2-inch baking pan.
- Repeat procedure with remaining chicken, adding 2 tablespoons of butter to skillet each time.
- In the same pan you used to cook the chicken, melt 1/4 cup butter and saute the mushrooms until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms, place evenly on top of chicken.
- Add the Marsala and chicken broth to the skillet, simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon about 1/3 of the sauce evenly over the chicken. Reserve the remaining sauce.
- In a small bowl, mix together the fontina and Parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle over chicken.
- Bake in a 450* oven for 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Serve hot with some of the reserved sauce and fresh chopped parsley.