Salads and Summer go hand-in-hand.
There are countless choices from light fresh fruit salads (Watermelon & Gorgonzola with Balsamic Drizzle, Melone e Mozzarella, Gorgonzola e Pera) to substantial main dish types (Muffuletta Salad).
We all have our favorite tried and true recipes, (the one’s everyone likes that we can practically make in our sleep).
Once you’ve tried grilled romaine, you may never go back to the cold stuff again (it’s true). This can’t-be-any-easier-salad is perfect for barbecues and camping trips. Serve as is or with Ricotta Salata Dressing.
- Heads of romaine lettuce (halved lengthwise, rinsed and dried)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Calamata olives
- With a basting brush or your fingers, smear a generous amount of olive oil on the cut side of each romaine half. Sprinkle with course sea salt.
- Using a hot charcoal, gas or electric grill, place romaine halves cut-side down.
- Cook until slightly wilted and charred.
- Using a pair of tongs, turn over and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Arrange heads of romaine (cut-side up) on a platter, season with salt and pepper, serve with creamy ricotta salata dressing and Calamata olives.