We eat a ton of vegetables in this house. Most of the time these vegetables are roasted, grilled, sauteed, marinated and eaten raw but, every now and then, they get fried.
I cook zucchini this way when I want to serve it as a side dish, offer it for breakfast in place of potatoes or when making zucchini Parmigiana. You can also enjoy oven-fried zucchini with a simple tomato sauce.
- 2 large zucchini, sliced diagonally
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- Italian parsley, chopped (garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 425* and pour the olive oil into an oven-proof baking dish.
- In a small shallow bowl, beat the egg with the water and season with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and oregano.
- Dip the zucchini slices into the egg, covering completely on both sides and allowing the excess egg to drip off and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a plate until all are coated.
- Arrange the breaded zucchini in the baking dish in a single layer and then bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Carefully turn over and bake an additional 15 minutes until all zucchini are golden brown. Remove from oven and place on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Transfer to a platter and garnish with the parsley. Serve immediately or let cool if you are preparing zucchini parmigiana.