Lemon ricotta pancakes have a fluffy, luscious creaminess and are an excellent alternative to your every-day pancakes. This elegant replacement to the morning meal will turn an ordinary breakfast into a special occasion.
These light, yet rich-tasting pancakes need nothing but a dusting of confectioners’ sugar and a few fresh berries. But, if you must, a bit of lemon curd or fresh berry sauce or jam is acceptable.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) ricotta
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons flour
- pinch of salt
- unsalted butter for griddle
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the eggs yolks, ricotta, sugar, lemon zest, flour and salt and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the ricotta batter and stir until incorporated.
- Melt a dab of butter on a hot griddle (medium-high heat) and then drop a large spoonful of the pancake mixture, spreading it out a bit. Cook about 2 minutes per side until lightly brown.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve immediately.