When I lived in California, we had an amazing avocado tree that produced an abundance of ridiculously large fruit. Although, I am blessed to have several citrus trees in Arizona, I do miss the avocado tree. Fortunately, we have friends here who have a home in Long Beach, California, that on every visit, they bring us back avocados and figs from their trees (thanks Ruth and Milt)!
Perfectly ripe with a creamy consistency, this fruit is buttery delicious, nutrient dense and contains good, heart-healthy fat. This is a good-for-you, quick and easy meal any time of the day or night. Sometimes I will add sliced juicy tomatoes on the smashed avocado, then the egg and a strip or two of crispy bacon.
- 1 slice hearty, whole grain bread
- 1/2 of a ripe avocado
- 1/2 of a lemon
- Sea salt
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (Medium or Robust)
- 1 Egg
- Toast the bread and then drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Smash the avocado with salt and a generous squeeze of lemon. Spread on the toast.
- Heat some of the oil and fry the egg. You could also use a poached egg if you prefer.
- Top the toast with the egg and then drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sea salt and a few grinds of fresh ground pepper.