Watermelon seems to be the quintessential fruit of summer for many folks. In Italy, there is a proliferation of fruit stands selling this thirst-quenching fruit, by the slice and in cups.
Summertime is also the season of picnics, barbecues and backyard dinner parties. So, rather than bring your “usual” fruit salad, why not up the fun factor with fresh fruit in the form of a pizza.
- Kiwi, sliced
- Blueberries, whole
- Strawberries, sliced
- Red grapes, cut in half
- Shredded coconut
- Using a whole watermelon and a sharp knife, carefully cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Depending on the size of the melon and the number of guests you are feeding, you may need only one or two slices. You can also use smaller watermelons and make “individual” pizzas.
- I cut the pizza into half and then each half into quarters to end up with eight slices. Then I added the fruit toppings. Feel free to use the fruit of your choice. I happen to like the way these looks (and taste). To keep the blueberries from rolling around, secure with a dab of honey.
- A final sprinkling of shredded coconut (to mimic cheese) is all that’s needed.
- Serve on a pizza peel for the full effect!
- You may also enjoy this watermelon salad.