Made with apples and cinnamon, golden raisins and extra-virgin olive oil, this slightly sweet cake is just as happy paired with a mug of hot coffee as it is with a cold glass of milk.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (Delicate)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 large apples, peeled, finely chopped
- Using a large bowl and an electric mixer, combine the olive oil, applesauce and brown sugar (make sure there’s no lumps in the sugar) and mix until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, a pinch of salt and the cinnamon. Whisk the ingredients together.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. (Note* This is a stiff batter, closer to bread dough than cake batter).
- Add the raisins and apples and then, using your hands, mix the fruit into the cake batter.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased and floured 9-inch cake pan. Pat down with your hands and bake in a 350* oven for about an hour. The cake is done when it turns a deep golden brown and a butter knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.