Like my toasted almond breakfast cake, olive oil zucchini bread and mascarpone souffle, this is another fitting addition to your morning meal.
Made with apples and cinnamon, golden raisins and extra-virgin olive oil, this slightly sweet cake is just as happy paired with a mug of hot coffee as it is with a cold glass of milk.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (Delicate)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 large apples, peeled, finely chopped
- Using a large bowl and an electric mixer, combine the olive oil, applesauce and brown sugar (make sure there’s no lumps in the sugar) and mix until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, a pinch of salt and the cinnamon. Whisk the ingredients together.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. (Note* This is a stiff batter, closer to bread dough than cake batter).
- Add the raisins and apples and then, using your hands, mix the fruit into the cake batter.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased and floured 9-inch cake pan. Pat down with your hands and bake in a 350* oven for about an hour. The cake is done when it turns a deep golden brown and a butter knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.