Spring is the season for asparagus. Crops are harvested from late February to the end of May, with April being the height of the season. This is a simple recipe that is perfect for a light spring meal. The asparagus is roasted in lemon and olive oil, tossed with your favorite cheese ravioli and dressed with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkling of lemon zest.
- Asparagus, ends trimmed, rinsed
- Extra-virgin olive oil (Delicate)
- Course salt
- lemon Pepper
- 1-2 lemon (s)
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 package (9 oz) ravioli (I used lemon ricotta) or agnolotti
- Remove the tough bottom ends from the asparagus and then transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Generously drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus and using your hands, gently rub on each piece. Arrange in a single layer and then sprinkle with salt and lemon pepper (or black pepper if that’s what you have).
- Zest the whole lemon and set aside. Now, cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice (from both halves) evenly over the asparagus.
- Roast in a preheated 375* oven for 8-10 minutes (depending on thickness) until stalks are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare ravioli or agnolotti (half moon shaped ravioli) according to package directions (usually just until they float to the surface). Drain and toss with a drizzle of olive oil and another squeeze of lemon juice before adding the roasted asparagus.
- To serve, transfer to a large platter and scatter the lemon zest and freshly grated cheese over the warm pasta and vegetable.