Dried fruits, nutritious nuts and crunchy granola, all covered in chocolate make for the perfect treat for our after dinner walks in the woods.
Many years ago, the year after we got married, my husband, Jack, and I built a home in the California Sierra’s. The “cabin” as everyone calls it, is surrounded by sugar and ponderosa pine trees, white firs, cedars and a couple of magnificent oaks with a redwood forest down the road. It’s our own little piece of heaven on earth. It is our special place and is the keeper of milestones and memories.
This chewy, crunchy, chocolaty, no dish or utensil needed, is the perfect dessert for a walk in the woods with my best friend!
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup roasted salted pistachios, reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 cup granola
- Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan with simmering water. The bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. Using a rubber spatula, stir over moderately low heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove the bowl from heat and stir in the raisins, cranberries, granola and all but 2 tablespoons of the nuts.
3. Using the rubber spatula, spread the chocolate onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Coarsely chop the remaining 2 tablespoons of nuts and sprinkle over the mixture. Let cool to room temperature then refrigerate until completely firm, about 3 hours. Break into pieces and store in airtight container in the refrigerator.