A special cake for a special occasion, inspired by the quintessential Sicilian dolce, cannoli.
This elegant cake was the perfect ending to a lovely ladies’ luncheon. The accompanying ice cream is quickly made by adding ingredients to store bought ice cream. Easily whipped up with a hand mixer, so no ice cream maker is needed.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4-pound butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-pound whole milk ricotta
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons candied citrus peel, finely chopped
- Cocoa powder, sifted, for sprinkling on top
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder (dry ingredients). Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer (Kitchen Aid type), with the whisk attachment, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla.
- Mix in the ricotta, confectioners’ sugar, and cinnamon.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and add half of the dry ingredients. Once incorporated, add the other half.
- Using a large spoon, stir in the chopped candied peel.
- Transfer the batter into a prepared (buttered and floured) 9-inch cake pan.
- Bake in a 350* oven for approximately 50 minutes. Cake should be a dark golden brown on top and firm to the touch. A butter knife inserted in the middle should come out clean when it’s done. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Transfer cooled cake to a large plate and generously dust with sifted cocoa powder. Serve with cannoli ice cream.
Cannoli Ice Cream
- 1 cup ricotta
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons candied citrus peel
- 1 tablespoon bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoons pistachio, chopped
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- Using a hand mixer, beat the ricotta with the confectioners’ sugar for 2-minutes and then add the cinnamon and beat until smooth. Stir in the candied peel, chocolate and pistachios until combined.
- Stir in the slightly softened ice cream and then transfer the mixture to a freezer-proof container and store in the freezer until ready to serve. Recipe can be doubled to make petite ice cream sandwiches (use chocolate cookie wafers), scooped into sugar cones or the filling for cannoli ice cream pie).