Crispy on the outside with a soft crumb inside, these not quite savory, not quite sweet, biscuits are the perfect bite. Particularly tasty with soups and a nice alternative to bread. Leftovers reheated in the oven, (to retain crispness) can be sliced and filled with your favorite jam or scrambled eggs for a quick breakfast on the go.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (plus a little more)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or 2 knives).
- Add enough buttermilk to make a thick dough.
- Stir in mozzarella.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (I got eleven out of this batch).
Bake in a preheated 450* oven until golden (about 14 minutes).