I love, love, love cauliflower!
The currants add a touch of sweetness which balances out the spicy pepper flakes.
After a busy day, sometimes I don’t really feel like cooking (yes, I have those days too). But, opening the refrigerator to discover a tub of Tupperware containing this healthy and satisfying one-dish meal is a welcome sight. Heating up the leftovers is easy. Using a small saucepan, warm the pasta with a drizzle of fresh EVOO,
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Separate the cauliflower into small florets, (see Macaroni and Cauliflower Soup) spread on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in a 350* oven until golden brown and tender (about 45-50 minutes).
- In another pan, toast the pine nuts in the over for 7-8 minutes until golden. (Watch closely so they don’t burn). Remove from oven, let cool.
- When the cauliflower is nearly done, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the penne.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, drain the pasta and put back in pot.
- Add the garlic, parmesan cheese, currants, Italian parsley and the pine nuts.
- Toss the mixture with some of the reserved pasta water (if the pasta seems dry, add more of the reserved water as necessary).
- Add the roasted cauliflower and dried pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with a bit more olive oil.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.