I have been working my way through several different kinds of flavored olive oils, with great success (she said modestly).
The Meyer Lemon Biscotti, Vanilla Bean Scones and the Chocolate Truffles have all been well received.
My new creation, chocked full of toasted almonds and chunks of chocolate, is now a family favorite.
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate (bar, cut into pieces or chips)
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the blood orange olive oil and eggs.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Add the orange zest, chopped almonds and chocolate pieces. Mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for an hour or so.
- On a parchment-lined cookie sheet, take half of the dough and shape into a log (12-inch x 2-inch). Repeat with other half. Flatten logs slightly.
- Bake in a 350* oven (middle rack) for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove and cool on cookie sheet.
- Carefully place log on cutting board and using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Arrange close together (cut-side down) back onto the cookie sheet. Bake an additional 15 minutes.