You may offer a terrific torta (cake) or several kinds of biscotti (cookies) to your guests after dinner, but there are some who consider chocolate to be the ultimate indulgence after a meal. These large, luscious, melt-in-your-mouth, silky-smooth truffles will be the exquisite ending to your dinner party. The secret ingredient is blood orange extra virgin olive oil.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate bar, chopped (or use chips)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- cocoa powder, unsweetened
- To make the ganache, place the chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream to a boil (watch carefully so it doesn’t scorch).
- Pour the cream over the chocolate, add the orange zest and give a gentle stir. Let stand for a few minutes.
- Stir in the Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil until smooth (Stirring too briskly will give the truffles a grainy texture rather than silky smooth). Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Using your hands, form into desired size, (they look more authentic if they are slightly irregular rather than perfectly round) then sift unsweetened cocoa powder over the truffles.
- Truffles should be stored in the refrigerator but served at room temperature.