Called finocchio in Italian, fennel has a mild, sweet aroma and a taste reminiscent of black licorice. Quite often it is simply eaten raw, thinly sliced with a bit of sea salt. The crunchy bite of fennel pairs perfectly with the creamy dressing for this salad (which can also be used to make coleslaw to top a grilled fish sandwich).
- 1 Fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and agave and then stir until smooth.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the stem end of the bulb and then cut off the stalks and fronds (the feathery fern-like leaves). Discard. Cut the bulb in half, lengthwise (top to stem end of bulb). With the cut-side down, thinly slice each half.
- Toss in the fennel and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.