This tart has all the flavors of your traditional holiday pumpkin pie but, with an Italian twist. Rather than making a pie with the typical pastry dough, I decided to make a crust of flavorful cookie crumbs, which is similar to a graham cracker crust. This recipe uses pumpkin pecan biscotti, (minus the pecans) and makes two 9-inch tarts.
- 1 cup pumpkin biscotti crumbs
- 1 tablespoon + 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, 1 tablespoon sugar and the melted butter.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom and partially up the sides of a 9-inch cake pan. Repeat with the remaining crumbs into a second pan or 4 small tart pans.
- To prepare the filling; mix 3/4 cup sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a small bowl.
- Using a large bowl, beat the eggs and then stir in the pumpkin and the sugar spice mixture. Gradually stir in the evaporated milk.
- Divide the filling into your prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated 375* oven for approximately 35 minutes. The filling should be firm and a knife inserted in the center will come out clean when tarts are done. Let cool for 2 hours. Refrigerate until ready to serve. The final touch is a dusting of cinnamon.