This is a fresh and flavorful raw zucchini dish featuring tangy capers and ricotta salata. The words ‘Ricotta’ means re-cooked and ‘Salata’ means salted. Ricotta Salata is a Sicilian cheese made from the whey part of sheep milk, which is pressed, salted and aged for at least 90 days. It is mild and milky white in color with a firm texture and slightly salty taste. I use the cheese in dishes such as, salads, pasta and vegetables. Feta is an acceptable substitute.
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Extra’Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon ricotta salata, (or feta)
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave off long strips of zucchini .
- Arrange the strips on a platter, overlapping slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil. Scatter the capers over the zucchini.
- Grate, crumble or chop the cheese into small pieces and sprinkle over the dish.