It’s smart to plan ahead if you’re thinking about making this slightly sweet brisket. Although it takes 2 hours to cook, it basically cooks itself as it makes its own sauce. All you have to do is combine the ingredients, pour over the brisket and shove it in the oven. Perfect for a potluck as is, served with cheesy grits or turned into mouth-watering brisket sliders.
- 2 1/2 pounds beef brisket, lean
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup ketchup
- Using a large ovenproof skillet (with a lid), brown the meat in the olive oil on both sides. Cover and transfer to a preheated 350* oven. Cook 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, water, onion soup mix and ketchup. Carefully remove skillet from oven and pour the sauce over the brisket.
- Cook covered for 1 1/2 hours. Meat should be fork tender.
To serve, slice against the grain or shred. I like to serve it over cheesy grits or polenta, topped with the sauce.
To make brisket sliders, sandwich the meat (sliced or shredded) with some sauce in a sweet potato biscuit … now that’s a little bite of southern comfort!