Mother’s Day Brunch, held in the historic ballroom of the Bourbon Orleans, live jazz and amazing food was a delectable triple treat.
The Bourbon Orleans, my favorite hotel in the French Quarter, is located directly behind the Saint Louis Cathedral and the Cafe Du Monde (quick access for our morning, afternoon and late-night beignets).
This iconic New Orleans hotel was our home-away-from home for this year’s Mother’s Day trip.
The day’s feast was one Southern comfort food after another. Crawfish Etouffee, Kitchen Sink Gumbo, Barbeque Shrimp and Dirty Grits were among my favorites.
After enjoying the Sweet Potato Waffles with a choice of Bourbon Pecan Sauce or Bananas Foster Sauce, (I had both) I could have almost skipped dessert … almost.
Since I don’t usually have pecan pie for breakfast, this French toast recipe is a decadent reminder of my delicious trip!
- 1 loaf Italian bread (or French)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- In a 350* oven, toast pecans 12-15 minutes. Cool.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar and maple syrup.
- Over medium heat, cook the mixture until it’s smooth and the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Pour the glaze into a 9-inch x 13-inch pan (spread evenly).
- Cut the loaf of bread into 1/2-inch slices, lay on top of the glaze.
- In a large bowl, whisk the half and half, eggs, vanilla and salt together.
- Pour the custard over the bread, press the bread down to absorb the custard.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, sprinkle over the bread.
- Cover the pan, refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 45 minutes. French toast should be lightly browned, bubbly and smell oh so good!
- Let it cool a few minutes, serve with toasted pecans and plenty of good coffee.